[objcopy] --redefine-sym on .dynsym section
Anthony Sharobaiko
2009-12-15 12:25:26 UTC
Hi!

Currently objcopy --redefine-sym works on ELF .symtab section only. In the
past some efforts have been made to make it work with dynamic symbols
(e.g. http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2006-03/msg00266.html). What is the current
status of this issue? Does anyone plan to implement this functionality?

Also, I think that someone should at least clarify the manual page, so that no
one spends time renaming dynamic symbol and trying to figure out what
is wrong with objcopy anymore. :-/

Alan Modra
2009-12-18 03:25:03 UTC
Post by Anthony Sharobaiko
Currently objcopy --redefine-sym works on ELF .symtab section only. In the
past some efforts have been made to make it work with dynamic symbols
(e.g. http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2006-03/msg00266.html). What is the current
status of this issue? Does anyone plan to implement this functionality?
As far as I'm aware there are no plans on implementing this. You
can't do it if you need to change section sizes (and hence addresses
of following sections).
--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM